Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Job no: 497848
Work type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Rosebery Mine
MMG Limited is a publicly-listed global base metal mining company recognised as a leading producer of copper and zinc. As an international business, MMG strives to create an inclusive culture by bringing together people from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We recognise the unique value your contribution makes to the progress of our company and the communities in which we operate.
The Rosebery Mine in Tasmania, a polymetallic underground mine, in operation since 1936, which has current potential to extend life beyond 2030.
We are currently seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our busy and successful team at Rosebery reporting directly to the Mine Technical Services Superintendent. The key responsibility as the Senior Geotechnical Engineer is to support the Technical Services Team to ensure correct and professional application of Geotechnical principles to the Planning and Operational Departments at Rosebery. On a day to day basis you will be involved in:
- Coaching and developing of the Geotechnical Engineering Team in functions of rock mechanics and ground control
- Developing and maintaining standards relating to ground control, ground support, mining methods and extraction sequencing and ensuring that a Principal Mining Hazard Management Plan for Ground and Strata Instability is in line with the statutory and company guidelines.
- Providing feedback to the Long Term Planning department regarding the practicality of the plan with regards to ground control and stability
- Ensuring that operational management is adequately briefed on ground control issues in a timely manner
- Identifying areas for business improvement and engaging stakeholders for optimisation
- Leading and participating in operational incident investigations
- Undertaking geotechnical analysis utilising Rock Mass Classification systems, empirical methods and numerical modelling, conducting formal reviews of excavation designs and performance focusing on Geotechnical issues
- Providing input into mine planning to ensure excavation designs, sequence, pillars and ground support are appropriate to local conditions
- Developing and maintaining a QA/QC system for ground support and backfill
As an appropriately qualified and experienced Geotechnical Engineer within an underground mining environment, you will possess the following skills and attributes:
- An unwavering commitment to workplace safety
- A drive for continuous improvement
- Excellent communication and influencing skills with a demonstrated ability to contribute and work effectively in a team
- Sound knowledge of rock mechanics, numerical modelling, ground support systems and methods
- Proficiency in mine design and geotechnical software packages
- Substantial experience with various stoping and backfill methods, geotechnical data collection and processing, and the technical design of stopes, pillars and ground support
- Experience leading and coaching small teams
To further your success to the role, you will have excellent communication and influencing skills with a demonstrated ability to contribute and work effectively in a team. The reward is an opportunity to join a growing global business that offers competitive remuneration and as well excellent working conditions in a supportive environment.
This role represents a genuine career opportunity for a motivated professional. This is a permanent residential role on a 4/3 residential roster, giving you the opportunity to become a member of the Rosebery community. Naturally, MMG will support you with relocation to the area and provide generous housing assistance.
Rosebery is located on Tasmania's west coast in close proximity to Strahan and a couple of hours drive from Burnie and Devonport. Rosebery offers exceptional outdoor experiences with fishing, canoeing, white water rafting, rock climbing and walking at your doorstep.
As a company, we strive for the best in safety, environmental protection, production standards and overall operational excellence. We are an equal opportunity employer who values and respects diversity.
If you share MMG’s values and feel that you could make a meaningful difference in this role, please apply online before the application closing date.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised closing date and all applicants must apply directly to MMG to be considered. We will not be accepting submissions from recruitment agencies on this occasion.
To hear more about what it’s like to work at MMG, we encourage you to visit our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MMGMediaUpload/playlists
Advertised: Tasmania Daylight Time
Applications close: Tasmania Daylight Time
Back to search results